stun gun in what they said was a pre-planned anti-terror operation. Six people were arrested there — and in a separate raid in a western part of the
capital — but Scotland Yard said the operation was not linked to the upcoming games, due to kick off on July 27.
Police didn’t identify the suspects, who range in age from 18 to 30. However Mizanur Rahman, who is involved with a Muslim activist group, said the three men arrested in Stratford, the neighborhood that contains Olympic Park, were brothers and claimed that one was a former police officer.
A police spokesman who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with police policy declined to comment on the claim.
Resident John Smallshaw said one of the raids took place at a residence on Abbey Road, only about a mile (roughly 1.6 kilometers) from the Olympic Park.
He told The Associated Press he was woken up just after 4 a.m. by “five loud bangs in quick succession” and saw police raiding the house. He said he later witnessed “one young man taken on foot to a waiting ambulance.”
Another man was later taken into an unmarked police car, he said, adding that plainclothes officers were still at the premise.
Continuing searches are being carried out at eight separate addresses in east, west and north London and at one business in east London, police said. Rahman identified one of the addresses as being in Old Street, near London’s financial district.
Police said all the suspects have been taken to a southeast London police station.
Intelligence officials say there has been an expected increase in chatter among extremist groups, but there are still no specific or credible threats targeting the Olympics. The terror level is labeled substantial, a notch below severe. A substantial threat level indicates that an attack is a strong possibility.
- British Police Arrest 6 on Terrorism Suspicions (world.time.com)
- Police taser man as they seize six in armed anti-terror raids across London (standard.co.uk)
- UK & World News: Police arrest six in London raids over connection to possible Islamist extremists terror plot (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Six arrested in London anti-terror raids (guardian.co.uk)
- British police arrest 6 on terrorism suspicions (foxnews.com)
- UK terror raid near Olympic Stadium, 6 arrests (sfgate.com)
- UK terror raid near Olympic Stadium, 6 arrests (utsandiego.com)
- London police arrest six on suspicion of terrorism (cbc.ca)
- British police arrest 6 on terrorism suspicions (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- British police arrest 6 on terrorism suspicions (miamiherald.com)