KATHMANDU, MAY 01 – UCPN (Maoist) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal said on Tuesday that the party will not compromise on directly elected president and identity-based federalism during the ongoing negotiations with other parties.
Addressing a May Day function in the Capital, Dahal stated that these two are aspirations of people and need to be addressed while drafting a new constitution. “Different ethnic groups, workers, Dalit and marginalised communities should feel the ownership of a constitution, otherwise revolt is inevitable,” he said.
With deep division emerging ove3r the federalism and forms of governance, parties are heading towards settling the disputed issues of new constitution through voting in the Constituent Assembly (CA). The Maoist party is pressing for a federal structure on the basis of ethnic identity, while the Nepali Congress and the CPN-UML are against it. The Maoist chief expressed confidence that parties will reach a consensus on the disputed issues of constitution within a couple of days, but he clarified that the party will not abandoned its stance of directly elected president. He further added that there is no alternative to completing the constitution writing process as people are eagerly waiting for a new constitution.
On the same occasion, Dahal called the party’s hard-line faction led by Vice-chairman Mohan Baidya for a dialogue to maintain party unity. In the recent times, talks between Dahal and Baidya have been elusive with each faction accusing the other of engineering split in the party. “Their (Baidya faction) recent activities are aimed at splitting the party and it is contributing to the plots of counter-revolutionaries that want to sabotage the ongoing peace and constitution writing processes,” Dahal said. The intra-party rift has escalated as the hardliners are now busy forming parallel structures across the country, challenging the establishment faction.Ekantipur Report
- I see the possibility of formation of two national unity governments – one led by Maoists and the other by NC – before May 27,” Dahal told (himalini.com)
- Baidya, Thapa fault Dahal in communist jargon (himalini.com)
- Maoists decide to reactivate YCL (himalini.com)
- Maobadi party adopted a “one party two tactics” policy till May 27, (himalini.com)
- Maoists soften stance before oppn pressure Agree to conclude peace process first (himalini.com)
- Maoist hardliners hold separate cadre training as party scrambles to avert split (himalini.com)
- Dahal calls on PM Bhattarai (himalini.com)
- Party divided but to stay united: Dahal,Says Bhattarai will not step down (himalini.com)
- Party cannot function sans Dahal: Mahara (thehimalayantimes.com)